headerphoto

Volume 40, No 2, 2018, Pages 254-262

Download full text in PDF

Effects of Fiber Fraction on the Mechanical and Abrasion Properties of Treated Cow Hair Fiber Reinforced Polyester Composites

Authors:

I.O. Oladele*, N.I. Agbeboh, S.M. Omokafe, O.I. Ibrahim

DOI: 10.24874/ti.2018.40.02.09

Abstract:

Fiber reinforced polyester composites were developed by reinforcing polyester resin with Cow hair fibers obtained from the tail of Zebu breed cattle in Nigeria. Composites were fabricated using hand lay-up techniques in which the 10 mm lengths of the NaOH treated fibers were randomly dispersed in a polyester matrix using open molds and allowed to cure at ambient temperature before testing. The tensile, flexural, abrasion and water absorption properties of the cow hair fiber (CHF) reinforced polyester composites were evaluated. Different Fiber reinforced composites showed the greatest enhancement in mechanical (tensile, flexural), abrasion resistance and water absorption properties compared to the unreinforced polyester material. The different fiber fractions which showed the best blend of properties were noted and plausible justifications for such values in each measured property were deduced. Ultimate tensile strength (UTS), abrasion resistance and hydrophobicity were optimum at 4 wt% CHF content with a value of about 10 MPa (UTS) while Young’s Modulus and flexural modulus were 756 and 5179 MPa at 15 wt%, respectively. Flexural strength at peak was best with a value of 35 MPa at 20 wt% CHF content.

Keywords:

Fiber reinforced, Treated cow hair fiber, Polyester, Abrasion, Mechanical properties, Water absorption

Latest issue

tribology

Volume 46
Number 1
March 2024

Crossref logo

Announcements

TiI news RSS 2.0

Table of contents